This recipe is a case in point, I can manage to dip the chicken in the egg, and cornflake crumbs as I only have to grab hold of a little corner of it, but Mick has to do the actual slitting of the meat. If he wasn’t here to do it I guess I’d have to snap on latex gloves, a bit like the CSI folks on telly.
Cordon Bleu Crunch
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups of cornflakes, crushed
1 egg, beaten
A drizzle of vegetable oil
2 slices deli ham
2 chunks of cheddar cheese, I’m guessing about ½ an ounce each.
- Pre-heat BBQ grill to low. Or heat oven to 350°F.
- Put cornflakes in a resealable plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Put crumbs on a plate.
- In a small, shallow bowl beat egg.
- Brush a sheet of heavy-duty foil with a little vegetable oil. Or if baking in oven, cover a cookie sheet with foil and brush with oil.
- Make a slit in the top of each chicken breast, but don’t cut right through. Make 2 horizontal slits in each side to form a sort of pouch.
- Dip chicken in beaten egg, then in cornflake crumbs until coated. Place chicken on foil, or cookie sheet.
- Wrap a slice of ham around each chunk of cheese, and press into the pouch in the top of each chicken breast. Top with some more cornflake crumbs to seal the gap.
- Bake chicken on the BBQ grill, or in oven, for approximately 35-40 minutes.