Although I don’t do much actual cooking in the summer months, as Mick does all the barbecuing, I do a lot of food preparation and making of salads. This is another meal that was done entirely on the grill.
I know I said there would be more recipes from the Old Broads cookbook, but I made a list of stuff I needed and then forgot to take it with me when I went to the store, oh hum. So bear with me, I will get back to them.
What I have found when posting grill recipes is it’s very difficult to give exact cooking times. It can vary so much depending on the outside temperature and the type of grill you use, so just cook stuff until it reaches your desired doneness.
Chicken, Bacon and Pineapple Kebabs.
(This recipe was originally from allrecipes.com but I have made quite a lot alterations to it).
Makes 3-4 skewers
For the marinade:
¼ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
1-2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
3 slices bacon, cut into quarters
12 large chunks of fresh pineapple
6 large mushrooms, cut in half
½ a red pepper, and ½ a green pepper, cut into about 12 chunks
½ large red onion cut into 12 chunks.
- In a medium bowl, mix cider vinegar, soy sauce, honey, olive oil, and onions, add chicken and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2–3 hours.
- Pre-heat grill to low.
- Wrap each chicken piece about 3/4 of the way round with bacon, and thread onto skewers alternating with veggies and pineapple.
- Brush a piece of heavy duty foil with a little vegetable oil, lay skewers on it, and grill for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until chicken juices run clear. Place directly on bars of grill for a few minutes to crisp up the bacon.
- Cut one broccoli crown into pieces, and place on a sheet of heavy duty foil. Add a ¼ cup of water and wrap foil into a loose parcel.
- Grill for about 5 minutes, until broccoli is heated but still firm and crunchy.