Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Quiche Lorraine Plus

Who was it that said, real men don’t eat quiche? To tell the truth, I have no idea, but they obviously didn’t know my husband. He would eat minced tires as long as there was a crust involved.

Also, I’m sure I’ve told you before, but me and pastry don’t mix. I just can’t make it. And when I do, I can’t get it off the board and into the dish without it falling to bits. Well, we can’t all be perfect, and I know my limitations, so I just buy those ready made pastry sheets now.

This is a bit of a variation on the traditional Quiche Lorraine, (which incidentally, was called bacon and egg pie when I was a kid), as I’ve added bell peppers and mushrooms, some mustard, and some chives.

Quiche Lorraine Plus




Ingredients:

6 slices of thick bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ red pepper, chopped
½ green pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
6 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon ground mustard powder
1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 refrigerated Pillsbury dough piecrust, brought to room temperature

Directions:
  • Fry bacon in a large skillet over a medium high heat until crispy. Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towels. Discard bacon grease and wipe pan with paper towels.
  • In same skillet, heat olive oil over a medium heat, add peppers and onions to pan and sauté until onion is translucent. Remove veggies from pan and drain on paper towels.
  • Allow bacon and veggies to cool for a few minutes. Meanwhile, pre-heat oven to 375°F, unroll pastry from package, and roll slightly with a rolling pin. Place crust in pie dish, and trim any excess pastry from edges of the dish.
  • In a large bowl whisk eggs and milk together, stir in mustard, chives and black pepper.
  • Add a layer of bacon to pie crust, then a layer of onions and peppers, then a layer of sliced mushrooms. Top with cheese, pour over egg mixture, and bake for 35 – 45 minutes.
  • Allow quiche to cool for 10 minutes before serving.



13 comments:

Pam said...

This looks divine. And I adore those pastry sheets. We use them to make steak pie in the wintertime and they work just fine for our purpose!

Jennifer said...

Yumsterini! A new word!

Paula said...

I'll take the WHOLE darn pie, please! This is great! I love that photo of the sliced pie ... you can see all the yummy bits throughout. I would eat this for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Really. I really, really love it. YUM!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

My hubby loves quiche!! This is a fave in our house

Raquel said...

Jan, that looks fab! I love quiche. We usually just make a crustless quiche as I have trouble with pie dough also! Much love, Raquel XO

Anonymous said...

This looks really tasty. I love quiche, but don't ever make it. Need to start.

Pam said...

Beautiful! I love a good quiche and this looks like an amazing one. You can't go wrong using mushrooms and sharp cheese. That last photo is making my tummy grumble.

Jason said...

Nice work! This recipe looks wonderful, I love that you added peppers and mustard, must add a nice flavor and zing to the origional recipe. I also cheat and use store-bought crust, it's just a pain to make it from scratch!

Unknown said...

i does look lovely and filling... :)

nicole said...

OHhh that looks fantastic.

test it comm said...

That quiche looks nice and golden brown and cheesy. I like the additions that you made.

Emily said...

I love quiche. This one looks very filling.
I was raised on it! One of mom's specialties.

Gill - That British Woman said...

that looks so good, both me and dh love quiche, so he's another man that eats quiche.

Thanks for popping by my blog, and commenting.

Gill in Canada