Monday, October 20, 2008

Cheesy Potatoes on the Grill

It was a beautiful weekend here in my little corner of northeast Oklahoma, lots of sunshine, clear blue skies, and temps a balmy 75°F. Just perfect for dragging out the BBQ for what will probably be the last time this year.

This is not terribly exciting, it's only a spud recipe, but they are pretty darned good. The cheesy potatoes, were cooked on the grill alongside some chicken on the ribs. We also have some rainbow chard growing in our garden at the moment, so I sautéed some in butter and garlic.

Cheesy Potatoes on the Grill (or in the oven if you prefer)




Ingredients:

3 large russet potatoes, thinly sliced about 1/8 inch
1 small onion, thinly sliced
½ cup mozzarella, shredded
¼ cup sharp cheddar, shredded
Black pepper, to taste
2/3 cup milk, warmed
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, shredded

Directions:
  • Pre-heat grill to low, or oven to 425°F
  • Grease an 8 x 8-inch foil tray (or baking dish) with butter.
  • Arrange smaller potato pieces in layers in bottom of dish, top with a layer of onions, then a layer of cheese, and add pepper to taste. Layer larger sized potatoes on top. Pour in the warm milk, brush top with melted butter, and sprinkle over the Parmesan.
  • Bake on grill for about 50 minutes, then put the foil pan under a hot broiler for 2 –3 minutes to brown the surface.
  • Or bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes. These potatoes usually brown okay in the oven without recourse to the broiler, but if they don’t you know what to do.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks like a great recipe. I use my grill year round so I'll be trying this recipe.

Jennifer said...

Cheese and potatoes, my two favorite things! They look delish!

Jason said...

I'm not a huge potato fan, especially considering the fact that I was born in Idaho. This is one of my favorites though, milk, cheese, potaotes, a perfect combination. I can't believe you made this recipe on the grill, I would have never thought of that, nice work! Also, I'm very jeleous about your amazing weather, it's been cold, dark and dreary here in Portland!

Pam said...

A delicious potato recipe. I love that you cooked it on the grill. Enjoy your warm weather... I wish it was 75 here.

Raquel said...

Cheesy potatoes! Hey, I like potatoes about any whichaway - these sound great! Much love, Raquel XO

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Yummy side dish.

Paula said...

This is so clever! How cool that you cooked this on the grill! I love how you used three different cheeses plus onion! I bet the flavor is just fantastic. I've marked this one to try! YUM!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

You'll be pleased to hear I ate a roast potato on Sunday! That is big for me!! I really want to like them.

test it comm said...

Cheese and potatoes is such a great combo.

Anonymous said...

I love when the cheese gets all crisp on top. Looks great!

DeniseinVA said...

I have never met a spud I didn't like and this recipe looks delicious. You've produced a winner yet again Jan. Thanks!

Maria said...

These look comforting and delicious!

Jan said...

As always, thank you all for taking the time to stop by my blog, and for all your delicious comments.

Lakeland Jo said...

barbeque? barbeque? I can't remember the last time- the weather has been so foul. We have a lovely one here in Northern Ireland but have no chance of using it- it is freezing cold!!